h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] Restrictions on observables group

From: Pierre de Buyl
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] Restrictions on observables group
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:08:31 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 01:02:44PM +0200, Felix Höfling wrote:
> The section "general organization" says that the ``observables``
> group "contains all time-dependent variables in the system, except
> the ones found in the ``particles`` group."
>
> I find this statement too restrictive in 2 directions:  It forbids
> any other root groups in addition to "particles". Second, it forbids
> to store time-independent observables (which for some applications
> might be a useful option).
>
> I suggest to rephrase without excluding additional data sets or root
> groups:
>
> The ``observables`` group contains data of physical observables,
> i.e. quantities that are derived from the system state at given
> points in time.
>
> What do you think?

I think that this is restrictive also.
"""
``observables``: Group containing other physical quantities (typically) of
interest.
"""
is general enough and suggests "physical quantities" while not being overly
restrictive with respect to the content of the group or to the time-dependence.
We could even drop the "(typically)" while maintaining the necessary freedom
that I like.

Of all, I still prefer the current one :-)

Cheers,

Pierre