h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] box data as part of trajectory/position

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] box data as part of trajectory/position
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 12:01:12 +0200

Am 18.09.2012, 11:14 Uhr, schrieb Pierre de Buyl <address@hidden>:

Hi Felix,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 04:26:45PM +0200, Felix Höfling wrote:
Hi Pierre,

Am 17.09.2012, 15:18 Uhr, schrieb Pierre de Buyl
<address@hidden>:

>A conclusion would be that "box" is mandatory within a trajectory
>group with
>identical "step" and "time" datasets (that may or not be linked,
>this is an
>implementation detail). Then, as you write, wether or not it is
>also found in
>"observables" depends on the simulation.

Mostly yes. I just thought that datasets position/box/{time,step} are not
needed as they coincide with position/time and position/step by
definition. The reader would refer to the latter (and ignore box/time if
present). Thereby consistency
would be automatically ensured without demanding that position/box/time position/time. But I have no strong preference here, my main point was to
provide the box information along with the position data in trajectory.

So you may link the current box group from observables, but the reader is
adviced to access the time and step information from the datasets in
position rather than box.

In my diagram above I noted a slight mistake. I meant it to look like
this, box is at the same level as value:

trajectory
     \-- group1
     |  \-- position
     |    \-- value
     |    \-- step
     |    \-- time
     |    \-- box
     |         +-- type
     |         \-- edges [D][D]
     |         \-- offset [D]

Ok, this is quite different. I see a small problem with that: "box" does not appear with a normal H5MD group structure. Also, one may one to also use the box information (that give the box volume) along with the velocity and species data. This is not very natural with this organization. I propose to make "box" at the same level as "position", "velocity" and "species" but make it mandatory to have
equal time and step than "position".

Thoughts on that?

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

Why would one need the box information to interpret velocities or even the species? If the total box volume is needed, one should resort to observables/box. For position data, on the other hand, the box has the very special meaning to describe the periodic continuation of the positions. That's why I wanted to put the box information _inside_ position.

Second, the structure of the box data set is already different from the other data sets because it holds edges and the offset, not just a "value" field. (The type attribute may be ignored for our discussion.) Hence, I suggested to drop the redundant time and step fields for the position/box group (of course not for observables/box). The box information is really different.

Peter and Olaf: are you still following the list? Do you have an opinion on that?

Regards,

Felix