h-client-devel

Re: [H-client-devel] [H-source-users] [sr #110548] create an h-client gi

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [H-client-devel] [H-source-users] [sr #110548] create an h-client git repository under the h-source project
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 20:17:23 -0400

On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 02:04:08 -0400 (EDT) Ineiev wrote:
> > I wouldn't close the h-client group or reassign the mailing list yet.
> That group already has a separate git repository, why don't you join
> h-client to work on it?

the combined teams of both projects is very small - none of the
original maintainers are working on either project - in fact,
neither code-bases have been maintained for several years; and
both had fallen into disrepair (incompatible with current
distros) - this is a fresh start with a completely new team(s)

the savannah projects were rarely used - the active members has
decided to re-merge the teams, as they were - originally, there
was one team, one savanna project, and one CVS code-base; but
these were split after some years - the 'h-source' CVS still
contains the h-client code-base; but h-source will also be
maintained under git now

i read that a single savannah project can have multiple git repo
- that seems like the ideal situation for this small team, along
with using a single mailing list

On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 21:13:58 -0400 (EDT) Ineiev wrote:
> Should we close the h-client Savannah group and re-assign its mailing list to
> h-source? (I'd like to get a confirmation from an admin of h-client.)

Yuchen is admin of the 'h-source' project - for now, could you
seed the empty 'h-client' git repo under the savannah 'h-source'
project? - the savannah projects and mailing lists are lesser
priority than this (already) low-priority task, and can be
decided upon sooner, later, or never

none of this is urgent - the 'h-client' savannah project should
probably be closed or read-only, eventually - it was never used
- the git repo also was never used

the h-client mailing list could be archive-only - it has not
been used since 2013; but may contain some important work history

IIRC antonio is the only project admin who may respond - this
has been discussed for weeks - someone may need to contact
antonio via another channel, to ask about archiving the h-client
project and mailing list - eg:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/users/tonicucoz

On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 21:13:58 -0400 (EDT) Ineiev wrote:
> It would be counterintuitive to look for h-client source in the h-source
> group.

it will always be counterintuitive - hopefully, people will find
the code via the 'h-node' website

'h-node' is not an optimal search query for the 'h-node' website
code either - i suspect that the name: 'h-source' was
intentionally ambiguous, to include the server and client - a
better name for 'h-source' today, would be 'h-server' or 'h-node'