h-client-devel

Re: [H-client-devel] Translations in italian

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [H-client-devel] Translations in italian
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 18:38:47 +0100

Hi.

> My friend Antonio Esposito has received an email, some days ago, from
> a person (I forgot his name, sorry) who proposed translating the
> h-client into Italian. I'm part (with Antonio) of the Italian
> translation team of the Trisquel project and we are wondering what
> this work will be.
> So I wrote this email to you for understanding better what we will
> have to do if we will accept this proposal.

I assume you asked about the technical issues of translation, I cannot
help with the other ones.

h-client uses gettext for localization, if you have all the dependencies
installed and the gettext command line tools do this:

0. Check that the "locale" command shows the language code you have.

1. Edit Makefile adding your language code to the line starting with
   L10N (the xx_XX one from the output of "locale").

2. Run "make".

3. Edit po/xx_XX.po that was added.  There are specialized PO editors (I
   use po-mode in Emacs, your package manager search probably can find
   other ones), the files are easy to edit with a text editor.

4. Run "make" again so h-client will use it ("setup.py develop --user"
   is a simple way to have the h-client from that working copy
   installed).

Send a patch made by "svn diff" (use "svn status" and "svn add" so the
needed files are included in the patch) when your change is complete.

Please report all problems you find on this list (e.g. h-client crashing
on device submission, the commands I posted not working, nonoptimal
English wording, typos, code problems that I should fix).

If your translation would have incorrect plurals or similar
language-specific problems due to the English text being translated,
please report it.

Have you discussed this with the h-node.org translation team?