gwl-devel

Re: [gwl-devel] variable interpolation in code snippets

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: [gwl-devel] variable interpolation in code snippets
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 20:04:51 +0100

zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 at 09:12, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I thought about adding support for selectors, but I don’t know if I
>> should.  Maybe it would be better to allow for named inputs instead,
>> which would result in process-local bindings.
>
> `data-inputs` is often a list, say the genome (genome.fa) and the
> sequences (R1.fq and R2.fq); then the procedure uses each as e.g.
>     my-tool -i genome.fa -1 R1.fq -2 R2.fq
>
> Personnally, I find the Snakemake notation clear:
>   input:
>      genome = genome.fa
>      seqA = R1.fq
>      seqB = R2.fq
>   shell:
>     my-tool -i {input.genome} -1 {input.seqA} -2 {input.seqB}

Yes, I think this is pretty nice.  I’ll aim for something like this:

process: foo
  data-inputs
    named-list
      foo = 1
      bar = hello
      baz = world
  procedure # bash { cat {{data-inputs.foo}} {{data-inputs.bar}} }

Haven’t thought much about it, but “named-list” (or whatever the final
name) would introduce a let binding or something.

(BTW: I don’t like that it’s called “data-inputs”. “inputs” is nicer and
fits well to “outputs”.)

--
Ricardo