gwl-devel

Re: [gwl-devel] `--run=simple` error ?

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: [gwl-devel] `--run=simple` error ?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 22:18:13 +0100

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 10:05:45PM +0100, zimoun wrote:
> Hi Pjotr,
>
> > You can run a container in a freshly compiled source tree. I do that
> > all the time. I don't normally use guix pull. Example using a D compiler
> >
> >   ~/guix-master/pre-inst-env guix environment -C guix --ad-hoc ldc clang
> > llvm unzip gdb ncurses vim git make cmake which less tzdata binutils
> >   rm -rf CMakeFiles CMakeCache.txt
> >   cmake .
> >   make clean
> >   make -j 24
>
> Thank you for the trick.
> I will use more containers. ;-)
>
> However, the issue is now how to ./configure Guix and one also needs
> to turn on container support (root privileges).

Yes. Fair point. Works on machines that allow that though and it is
good for resolving issues.

> And say it is maybe not the most friendly. :-) I mean it is the hacker
> solution (and yes they know how to choose their friend ;-)
>

> Well, even I am still confused.
>
> Which guix modules are going to the container ?
>     a) the ones from the package guix in the checkout
> or b) the ones of the checkout itself.

guix environment -C guix

pulls in everything you need to build guix itself.

> And is it the guix modules or only its dependencies? (guile, autotools, etc.)

try it, you can check. Also read

https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/INSTALL.org#building-gnu-guix-from-source-using-guix---the-bullet-proof-way

> And idem if you run instead:
> ~/guix-master/pre-inst-env guix environment -C gwl --ad-hoc some other tools
> or any other package that depends on Guix.

Just check what is in the /gnu/store.