guix-science

Re: guix on nfs based systems

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: guix on nfs based systems
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 09:36:54 +0200

On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 06:08:30PM +0000, Etienne B. Roesch wrote:
> Hahaha! Yes, that's what I was getting at!
>
> I suppose one could run gc periodically, in a monthly cron. No?
>
> Etienne
>
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 1:03 PM Felix Lechner <felix.lechner@lease-up.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Efraim,
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 23 2023, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> >
> > > One thing we do on the small cluster at UTenn is /gnu and /var/guix (in
> > > addition to the home directories) are exported across NFS
> >
> > That's fascinating! Do you ever run 'guix gc', or do you just buy new
> > disks when space runs low?
> >
> > Kind regards (and perhaps, happy Thanksgiving)
> > Felix

We generally run it as necessary, but luckily not too often.  With
everyone trained to use profiles we rarely have problems with necessary
packages disappearing.  I've generally been the biggest offender with
building and rebuilding packages while packaging new software.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא