guix-science

Re: Help! I messed up guix-past

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Help! I messed up guix-past
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 11:47:42 +0200

Hi Konrad,

On Sat, 10 Sep 2022 at 09:39, Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> wrote:

> It's worse: I wasn't even aware of being a committer before all of this
> mess. I had started preparing my patches as I do for Guix, and then I
> looked for contributor instructions. Didn't find any, so I tried the
> standard Gitlab merge request workflow, given that I have an account
> on the forge. Then I discovered that my account doesn't allow forks, and
> that I was supposed to use another workflow doing merge requests from a
> branch. That produced a merge request assigned to myself, which isn't
> really useful. Up to that point, I was convinced that I needed someone
> else to validate my patches, as for Guix.

Maybe you had been granted on July 2020 at an hackathon [1].

1:
https://hpc.guix.info/blog/2020/07/reproducible-research-hackathon-experience-report/

>> remove the problematic unsigned commit.  Maybe you can do it yourself,
>> push force to go back at ecfb8af08eb8aa7d7b6a4b1edcc5fb1e177fa214.
>
> As Ricardo said, force push isn't considered good behavior normally.
> But if everyone agrees that it's the best way out, I'd be happy to do
> it.

I do not know.  For now, nothing is “broken” and I get:

$ cat /tmp/channels.scm
(cons*
 (channel
  (name 'past)
  (url "https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-past.git";)
  (branch "master"))
 %default-channels)

$ guix pull -C /tmp/channels.scm -p /tmp/trash
Updating channel 'past' from Git repository at
'https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-past.git'...
guix pull: warning: pulled channel 'past' from a mirror of
https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-past, which might be stale
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at
'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Building from these channels:
  guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git   4f134f2
  past      https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-past.git      e9ccdb8
…

$ /tmp/trash/bin/guix show python2-scientific
name: python2-scientific
version: 2.9.4
…
-

> I'd prefer not to. I'd probably start my own channel instead. Or
> maintain an unauthenticated fork of guix-past. My goal is to get GPG out
> of my life. It's a major source of pain.

I agree.  And I think that authentication is more burden for typical
“scientific tools” than a concrete solution of a real problem.

Cheers,
simon