guix-europe

Re: Funding Guix?

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Funding Guix?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 14:18:21 +0100

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 09:16, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> wrote:
>
> > If one of us has an EU based company it could act as an intermediate.
>
> That’s the idea of Guix Europe, no?

I am sorry to maybe confuse matters. I was trying to point out that a
company can advance money that gets refunded by FSF. Guix Europe can
not go into debt for large amounts. Right?

> > We could even set up a 'slush fund' to move some extra money across. I
> > do the same with my university. We could use that to pay stipends and
> > travel.
>
> Yeah, for sure.  If one has ’slush fund’, one could pay what the project
> needs.  And from my experience, the easiest to spend ’slush fund’ is to
> buy hardware or organize events. :-)

Yes, currently the money is with FSF. I am not completely comfortable
with that because I have seen cases elsewhere (in academia) where
money just got taken away because no one is using it. There is a risk
attached to keeping a money with another party.

Maybe we can set up a fund with Guix Europe for, say $50K, and simply
invoice that with FSF. I am being creative here ;). If we describe the
purpose of the fund well, the FSF may agree. Simplifies it for them
too.

Pj.