guix-europe

Re: Guix Days and FOSDEM 2021?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Guix Days and FOSDEM 2021?
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 19:22:40 +0100

Hi Pjtor,

On Sun, 06 Dec 2020 at 09:49, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 05, 2020 at 01:31:45PM +0100, zimoun wrote:

>> On Sat, 05 Dec 2020 at 09:59, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> wrote:
>> > Not sure I missed something, but are we planning Guix days again for
>> > FOSDEM? As we have a devroom too and because the events are virtual we
>> > can potentially coordinate/integrate those days even better.
>>
>> From my point of view, redo something with Talks+Q&A seems to early.
>> Personally, I was still digesting what I have learnt.  Well, the even
>> had been richer than I initially thought. :-) Other said, redo an
>> extended version of the previous format appears to me too much.
>
> Let me suggest this: Online FOSDEM will probably be much larger than
> normal. It is a great opportunity to advertise our work. I think a
> Guix day can be really good, but maybe we should do it differently
> than the other Guix days.
>
> First of all, if we do it *after* the devroom so we can invite people
> to participate! Since we have the Guix/Guile devroom on Saturday we
> could run a Guix meeting place in parallel to FOSDEM - essentially a
> live hacking support IRC - and the actual Guix day with talks (fringe
> event) on Monday. The devroom organizers can help coordinate and
> organise the Guix day. How does that sound? Tuesday we can keep open
> for hacking.
>
> Also we should not do away with a great tradition :). It brings us new
> people and the Guix days have rendered us new opportunities incl.
> funding of Mes.

I agree with all the arguments.  Just 2 pragmatical comments:

1. When launching a rocket, if it fails, it is not the same when I am
doing it in my garden with my neighbors who I know or when I am doing
with NASA so world watching.  The main impact is about the future
launches.

2. The risk is kept under control with a lot of preparation.  It is the
mountaineer who speaks. :-)

Therefore, doing something on 8-9 Feb (after FOSDEM), and targeting
something bigger than usual, we need to prepare.  It means a) who does,
b) contact people asking them to prepare sessions etc. and c) establish
a schedule (as) soon (as possible) qthen communicate about it.

Even if the prepared talks are skipped for this event, then it still
needs preparation to have fruitful discussions.

Well, my point is: if we want a post-FOSDEM event and using the FOSDEM
as an attractor, we have to start **right now** to prepare this event.
And so, who volunteers?  Who is in to help?  Who lists the tasks and how
do we synchronise?

Otherwise, let’s do something more confidential (the 30-50 usual
suspects) pre-FOSDEM and less prepared.  One or two weeks before, we
synchronize.  Something as «hackathon format».

>> However, people said as feedback that they would like more time to
>> discuss in smaller groups about specific topic.  And since, the FossHost
>> BBB instance is still up (I am using it for the Outreachy with Magali
>> and Gábor ;-)), and should be up until I-do-not-know-when, we could
>> imagine create X “rooms” with a proposed topic/schedule of each room and
>> let’s people discuss; with the rule that notes are taken and then
>> published at last on guix-devel, even raw.
>
> Great idea.

This works for the usual 30-50 fellows already knowing bit of Guix
internals.  It does not scale for more or newcomers, IMHO.

>> and because of timezone, we *must* have a schedule backbone.

Which schedule backbone?  And it should be released early enough;
ideally on Jan. first.

>> The only unclear point (for me) is how to deal with moderation.  For the
>> previous, Julien, Tobias and me were accepting people to join the room,
>> and we spent a couple of hours the day before to check how to deal with
>> abuse, etc.  The question is: how to moderate several rooms?  Full free
>> or which rule?
>
> I suggest an open house with the remit to kick people off if they
> continue to misbehave after one warning. Most of us are well
> intentioned and I am increasingly disliking the political correctness
> imposed on us. Though I realise we have had some bad behaviour
> already. They are easy to spot and deal with even if they sign on with
> different accounts.

Well, on this side, I will let the word to people already moderating.  I
am a Teletubies living in world full of love so I am too biased to have
an wise opinion. :-)

1: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletubbies>

Cheers,
simon