guix-europe

Re: Event?

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Event?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 06:50:28 -0400

Le 10 juillet 2020 04:57:08 GMT-04:00, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> a
écrit :
>Dear,
>
>Quoting the last Guix-Europe General Assembly,
>
>       In  addition to  the Guix  Days,  we consider  holding a  purely
>       virtual  event  towards   the  end  of  the   year;  during  the
>       discussion,  September   or  the   time  around   Christmas  are
>       mentioned, without clear consensus.  Manolis, Pjotr and Jonathan
>        volunteer to work on the organisation.
>
>       In case  FOSDEM is cancelled  due to ongoing Covid  problems, we
>       would also like  to hold the Guix Days as  an online event. When
>       booking ICAB, we  need to watch out for  a suitable cancellation
>        policy.
>
>I would like to volunteer too. :-)
>
>BTW, we are already on mid-July and personally I plan a long break AFK
>for August.  So we should start to discuss if we want to organize
>something in {September,October,November}.  On the Guix-HPC land, I
>think I will propose another "hackathon" in October.
>
>It appears to me difficult to transpose the format of Guix Days to
>something virtual.  From my experience, more 7 in video chat is not
>really fruitful.  Something like video cast (or pre-recorded) and then
>question over IRC seems better.  On the other hand, I do not have
>experience in such event.
>
>What could be your suggestions?  About a date?  About a format?
>

>All the best,
>simon

I was imagining a format where we could hack together on stuff, while also
having someqpresentations.

I liked the format of the FSF for libreplanet, where they were able to
livestream the talks. They used jitsi and something in icecat to send the
stream, and had a m3u link that can be opened in vlc or mpv.

I was also imagining something more unconference-style, where we could have
smaller discussion and working groups.