guix-europe

Re: Using the Hetzner Cloud

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Using the Hetzner Cloud
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 20:12:40 +0000

Jonathan Brielmaier <address@hidden> writes:

> as promised on the Guix Days in Bruxelles I asked Hetzner[0] if they
> could provide us some free VMs in their cloud[1].
>
> A few days ago they came back go to me. Sadly they can't provide us free
> VMs, but they will give us 30 EUR credit for the first month.
>
> As they bill hour-wise and offer a serial console over HTTPS, you can do
> tests for stuff like the installer for 2 or 3 cents :)
>
> What do you think about it?

Thanks for looking in to the Jonathan, that's really useful.

I've been using Hetzner for hosting data.guix.gnu.org for at least the
last few months now. I've been paying for it so far, but ideally it
wouldn't depend on me personally paying for it in the long term.

Coupled with this, I think there are some services (hpc.guix.info, ...)
it would be nice to move off bayfront (a machine in Bordeaux) to
somewhere that's more reliable/remotely accessible, mostly to avoid the
risk of me breaking them again when attempting to reconfigure bayfront.

Maybe Guix Europe (a legal entity in Europe) could have a Hetzner
account that could be used at the discretion of those involved in Guix
Europe? I think Hetzner support billing by SEPA direct debit, which
might work, otherwise I can probably pay the bill and then be
reimbursed.

Thanks again for following up talking to Hetzner Jonathan!

Chris