guix-devel

Disabling Shepherd services across reboots?

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Disabling Shepherd services across reboots?
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2024 04:21:02 -0700

Hi,

Is there a way to disable Shepherd services across reboots without
reconfiguring the system?  If not, what is the purpose of 'herd disable'
vs 'herd stop'?

My background is I have a system I cannot currently reconfigure.  (I use
experimental features from a development version of the Shepherd as a
Scheme noobie.)  A Shepherd timer pulls rsync data every five minutes.
That timer fails due to a corruption issue in an Sqlite3 database, which
sends me an email. I disabled the service, but yesterday I had two power
outages. Each time, the emails came back.

I believe the popular expectation might be that 'herd disable' disables
a Shepherd service until the system is reconfigured.

Kind regards,
Felix