guix-devel

Re: gnu: xkeyboard-config: Upgrade to 2.41.

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: gnu: xkeyboard-config: Upgrade to 2.41.
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 06:21:37 -0700

Hi B. Wilson,

On Fri, May 31 2024, B. Wilson wrote:

> What's the proper procedure when updating packages to check that its
> reverse dependencies aren't broken by the change?

In Guix, the standard is that consuming packages build.  It's a low bar
because upstream changes and packaging errors can also break the runtime
performance of consuming packages.

As Andreas pointed out, our CI infrastructure builds the packages for
you.  CI also runs some build-time tests but those are stop-gaps that do
not catch packaging errors or many other problems.

That being said, xkeyboard-config is a very mature package. A change of
upstream locations should have no effect (and would immediately fail to
build).  The version bump probably also has no effect, although that
software has seen a fair amount of activity lately. [1] We would also be
jumping several versions, from 2.38 to 2.41.

It would be nice if you have time to rebuild everying locally, but I
would simply commit the patch to Guix provided the new version builds,
and run with it.  We can always revert.

Thank you for your contributions to Guix!

Kind regards,
Felix

[1] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xkeyboard-config/xkeyboard-config