guix-devel

Re: Setting up gmail for git send-email

From: Imran Iqbal
Subject: Re: Setting up gmail for git send-email
Date: Wed, 29 May 2024 23:21:21 -0400

> I am unsure if my reply on debuggs was sent, i am yet to get a email address
> that supports git send-email,

> Also if anyone sees this and has an invite to riseup email service ( should
> the service be capable of handling another stranger) then please may i have
> a invite?, google sux

I know that this is not the main point of your email (hence changing the
subject), but I would like to chime in on how I get my gmail to work git
send-email. The easiest way is to just have it use another program. In
my case I use msmtp.

In your ~/.gitconfig:
[sendemail]
        smtpserver = /usr/bin/msmtp
        smtpserveroption = -a
        smtpserveroption = gmail

For ~/.msmtp
defaults
auth           on
tls            on
tls_trust_file /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
logfile        ~/.msmtp.log

# Gmail
account        gmail
host           smtp.gmail.com
port           465
tls_starttls   off
from           username@gmail.com
user           username@gmail.com
passwordeval    "pass username@gmail.com"

The actual password that you put in your password manager in this case
would be an app password [0].

This setup works for me for a bunch of different email accounts across
gmail/live/ymail

[0] https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en