guix-devel

Re: `make check` fails when trying to build from Git

From: Ashvith Shetty
Subject: Re: `make check` fails when trying to build from Git
Date: Thu, 9 May 2024 11:34:26 +0530

(Sorry for replying again, but since my message wasn't reaching to gnu-devel for others to see, I'm trying this again, this time, hopefully it should reach others)

Hello Steve,
Yes, you're right about that - I am on the master branch. Should I switch to a different commit? Maybe the ones listed in `git tag --list`?

On Mon, 6 May, 2024, 15:23 Ashvith Shetty, <ashvithshetty10@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Steve, yes, you're right about that - I am on the master branch. Should I switch to a different commit? Maybe the ones listed in `git tag --list`? For my first patch, I wanted to create multiple package variants of NodeJS. similar to how it was done for Zig. I was wondering if those errors can affect them.

On Sun, May 5, 2024 at 3:53 PM Steve George <steve@futurile.net> wrote:

On  4 May, Ashvith Shetty wrote:
> I've been looking forward to contributing some packages to Guix, but so
> far, I've not been able to figure out from the manual, so I'm going through
> the entire Contributing
> <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Contributing.html> section.
>
> So far, after the `guix shell -D guix -CPW` command, I've reached the `make
> check` part, where the tests fail. What logs should I share, so that I can
> make it easier for people to check out the issue that's stopping me from
> progressing?
(...)

Hi Ashvith - are you building the master branch with a recent checkout?

I also get some FAILS, but not as many as you.

You can probably continue and if the ./pre-inst-env guix command works then you can continue to package.

The manual has a section on how to investigate the test failures: if you have alook at those there may be clues and you can create issues with a proper log at that point.

Best,

Steve / Futurile