guix-devel

Re: What 'sh' should 'system' use?

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: What 'sh' should 'system' use?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 03:04:54 -0400

Hi,

On 9/19/22 08:55, Maxime Devos wrote:
(4) Stop using 'system' in applications -- instead use whatever the language's equivalent of Guile's system*, execl ... or Guix' 'invoke'. Why? Because 'system'-like functions requires quoting the
 command line arguments whereas in 'system*'-like functions you could
 just pass a list of command line arguments, and it's easy to get the
quoting wrong, especially if some of the arguments are generated dynamically.

As a bonus, this could often remove a dependency on bash{-minimal,-static,}.

I definitely advocate 'system*'-like functions in general. Still,
'system'-like functions exist: I'm advocating that Guix should should
have a consistent answer for how such functions should behave.

(Very occasionally, a program really does want to invoke the shell, such
as when shell expansion is part of an existing API.)

From a different perspective, this is part of why I've recently been
thinking we should find 'sh' dynamically: most programs/environments
don't, and shouldn't, need bash{-minimal,-static}, so it seems wrong to
make it a mandatory dependency of libc.