guix-devel

GNU Guix on iPad2 (A1395)

From: Jacob Hrbek
Subject: GNU Guix on iPad2 (A1395)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 11:31:47 +0000

Context: I have this iPad 2 that I got as a gift from a friend who was upgrading on the newer version to try to get me to like Apple. I hate it and it was in my storage unused for many years so now I am trying to get GNU Guix on it with GNOME.

To achieve this I merged the required packages in guix (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57902 and https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57871) and thanks to the jailbreaking community i can use Checkm8 exploit(https://github.com/axi0mX/ipwndfu) to get full write access to the device and unlock the bootloader to boot unsigned OS and linux-libre seems to have all required drivers to run on the device, see the current progress in https://git.dotya.ml/kreyren/kreyren/issues/30

The issue is that i can't get libusbmuxd (the daemon used to communicate with iDevices from Linux) to work on GNU Guix likely due to a configuration error in guix to perform the exploit and install guix, can someone help? https://github.com/libimobiledevice/ideviceinstaller/issues/147

Any relevant info on how to get iPad 2 or other iDevices to work with GNU Guix also appreciated.

-- Jacob "Kreyren" Hrbek