guix-devel

Re: Guix-devel Digest, Vol 109, Issue 56

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Guix-devel Digest, Vol 109, Issue 56
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 12:58:40 +0200

Hi,

I am late to the party. :-)

On Fri, 22 Jul 2022 at 17:12, kiasoc5 <kiasoc5@disroot.org> wrote:

> We could have packages recommend other packages to make this discovery
> easier for users, like Arch's opt-depends.

>From my point of view, ’recommend’ is like ’tag’.  It is not
well-defined and then it opens to many bikesheds.  And it adds
maintenance burden.

For instance, let consider the package hello written in C language.
Some people would recommend GDB, some Valgrind.  For packages using Git,
some would recommend plain Git, some git-extensions or Magit.  For
packages using Python, some would recommend plain Python and others
IPython, maybe Jupyter.  About COq, some would recommend Coq-IDE, some
Proof-General.  And so on.

>From my opinion, the package manager is not the correct level for
“social” recommendations.

Cheers,