guix-devel

Bug in strip phase of gnu-build-system?

From: elaexuotee
Subject: Bug in strip phase of gnu-build-system?
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 14:17:20 +0900

Hello,

Sanity check, please.

When `strip-binaries?` is `#f` and a "debug" output is defined, said output
remains empty. Instead, I expect "debug" to get populated with separated debug
files.

The logic for creating debug files exists in (guix build gnu-build-system)
under the definition of `strip`. In particular `strip-dir` extracts the debug
info into "debug" if and only fi that output exists.

Note, that (guix build-system gnu) already removes "debug" from the outputs
when strip-binaries? is true.

However, for some reason the actual `strip-dir1 invocation is wrapped in a (if
strip-binaries? ...) check, meaning that the entire phase becomes a no-op.
Shouldn't that if check be removed?

I have CC'ed Mark Weaver, since it looks like he is the author of this
particular if block.

Cheers,
B. Wilson

P.S.
If the above is correct, then would it make sense for --with-debug-info to also
inject a "debug" output as needed? It looks like this would be pretty easy
under guix/transformations.scm:transforma-package-with-debug-info.