guix-devel

Re: First guix pull is too costly

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: First guix pull is too costly
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 18:59:33 +0200

Hi Efraim,

On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 at 15:28, Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> wrote:

> There's already a copy of the guix source code at
> /run/current-system/profile/share/guile/site/3.0/guix, what if we "just"
> switched the new-user/new-cache experience to:

This is only for Guix System and not on foreign distro, no?

> cp -r /run/current-system/profile/share/guile/site/3.0/guix/*
> ~/.cache/guix/checkouts/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq
> cd
> ~/.cache/guix/checkouts/pjmkglp4t7znuugeurpurzikxq3tnlaywmisyr27shj7apsnalwq
> git init
> git remote add origin https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
> git fetch
> git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/master

Depending on the network, the first “guix pull” is often considered as
slow [1]; especially running the command for each new user: each time,
it is a full Git clone in ~/.cache/guix/checkouts of ~400MB, if I read
correctly.

Instead of cloning each time from Savannah, maybe the clone could happen
from the cache of ’root’ and only fetch from Savannah for populate by
recent commit the cache of the regular user.  It would save some network
traffic.

1: <https://yhetil.org/guix/87ft403kol.fsf@ambrevar.xyz>

Cheers,
simon