guix-devel

Re: Dealing with upstream issues

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Dealing with upstream issues
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 17:47:16 +0200

zimoun schreef op ma 27-06-2022 om 17:23 [+0200]:
> You are mixing unrelated topics, IMHO.
>
> We have policies, not standard.
>
> «A policy is a set of ideas or plans that is used as a basis for making
> decisions, especially in politics, economics, or business.»
>
> «A standard is a level of quality or achievement, especially a level
> that is thought to be acceptable.»

I think it's a reasonable policy to have standards, and that it's a bad
policy to not have standards.  Seems related to me.  Also, we do have
some standards -- e.g., bundling, malware, non-freeness and security
problems is not considered quality.

> > Agreed -- I did not ask that explicitely in #55541, but the implied
> > question was to report it upstream (or fix local, that could be
> done
> > too).  But my point is that this should have been done _before_
> merging
> > the patch.
>
> So, what are you explicitly asking? :-)

Nothing, it was implicit.

> Other said, it cannot be asked to submitter to fix unrelated-to-Guix
> issue on upstream code.  Although cross-compilation issue is somehow
> related to Guix. ;-)

I never asked this.  All I asked for is to report the issue upstream,
such that upstream can fix it.  (Though fixing it would be nice bonus.)

Greetings,
Maxime.