guix-devel

Re: emacs-guix (upstream) needs more love: a survey of repositories, hom

From: Kaelyn
Subject: Re: emacs-guix (upstream) needs more love: a survey of repositories, homepage and issues
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 11:15:48 +0000

On Tuesday, June 7th, 2022 at 10:42 AM, Kaelyn <kaelyn.alexi@protonmail.com>
wrote:

[snip]
> > > I just took a few minutes and checked both repos out into a single
> > > working tree, and there aren't many commits unique to each
> > > repository. The official savannah repo has 5 commits since they
> > > diverged, with the 3 oldest looking like variations of the 6 oldest in
> > > the gitlab repo. Likewise, not counting the 6 just mentioned, there
> > > are 4 unique commits in the gitlab repo. Those 4 commits are:
> > >
> > > * c9aef52 - (gitlab/master, gitlab/HEAD) elisp/ui-package: Add
> > > 'guix-package-use-name-at-point' variable (12 months ago)<Alex Kost>
> > > * e5ff0e5 - elisp/ui-package: Fix an error on package name read (12
> > > months ago)<Alex Kost>
> > > * 8ce6d21 - Rename 'guix-search-…' to 'guix-packages-…' commands (1 year,
> > > 3 months ago)<Alex Kost>
> > > * fbc2bbc - elisp/ui-package: Use thing at point for
> > > 'guix-packages-by-name' command (1 year, 3 months ago)<Alex Kost>
> >
> > Awesome.
> >
> > Would you be willing to coordinate work on Emacs-Guix for some time?
> > If so, I’m in favor of granting you commit access so you can first push
> > these four commits, and eventually apply patches that are submitted or
> > fix bugs here and there.
> >
> > If Giovanni or Théo wants to do that, that’s fine too. What we need is
> > to make sure one of us/you can commit some time going forward to at
> > least protect Emacs-Guix from bitrot, and ideally help improve it, as
> > time permits.
> >
> > WDYT?
>

> While my time can sometimes be a little spotty short-term, I am willing to
> coordinate work on Emacs-Guix and at least protect it from bitrot. Right now,
> I'm still fairly new to Emacs and am still working on my setup and learning &
> integrating things like using Emacs-Guix or M-x debbugs-gnu, but I also wish
> to both get more involved with Guix and improve my Emacs development and
> debugging skills. I'll also be happy to push those four commits once I work
> out my local build and testing (i.e. getting the tests to pass locally with a
> clean tree to see if my cherry-picking of the commits are the reason tests
> are failing.)

I want to give a quick update: I have successfully built and run "make check"
for my local branch with the four cherry-picked commits, plus one addition
commit to fix the build (an emacs script used for local builds was passing an
argument to guix-emacs-autoload-packages, which was refactored to not take
arguments in guix commit 47b3b4c2aa from 2019). With my extra commit, I think
the branch should be ready to push.

Cheers,
Kaelyn