guix-devel

Re: Merging the purge-python2-packages branch

From: Reza Housseini
Subject: Re: Merging the purge-python2-packages branch
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 09:39:54 +0200

On 5/30/22 18:49, zimoun wrote:

         Well, me, personally, I continue to do most of my research using
         Python 2 because I cannot afford to port everything to Python
         3. And since I do only number crunching, meaning nothing with
         security implications, I am not particularly worried.

         [...]

         Once Python 2 lives in a largely isolated package sub-universe,
         I don't see much harm keeping it in Guix for now. If security
         issues become apparent, we might have to do something more
         drastic.

I think time-machine is the tool to use here, and as Maxime suggested, if you really need to keep maintaining a python2 package than guix-past is the perfect place to do it (porting to python3 makes probably still more sense than maintaining an outdated python package).

It appears to me surprising: we do not provide a schedule for the
removals, then bang purge.

I don't see the problem, python 2 was sunsetting in 2020(!) [1] after a prolongation from 2015, so it should not come as a surprise.

Cheers,
Reza

[1] https://www.python.org/doc/sunset-python-2/

--
Reza Housseini

This message is signed with my GnuPG key:

    C0F3 0812 9AF2 80F4 0830 C2C1 C375 C6AF 0512 5C52