guix-devel

Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Multiple profiles with Guix Home
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 15:14:56 +0200

Hi,

Am Freitag, dem 27.05.2022 um 15:52 +0300 schrieb andrew@trop.in:
> On 2022-05-26 01:36, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > I can't see it anywhere in the code for Guix Home, so I
> > assume generations are currently littered into the user home.  The
> > specific choice of moving ~/.guix-profile to ~/.guix-home is
> > another.
> > Assume I only want to use Guix Home for one or two config files,
> > well nope you can't unless you're willing to move you packages as
> > well or willing to have a pointless symlink that you didn't ask
> > for.
>
> ~/.guix-profile is independent from ~/.guix-home and you don't need
> to move all the packages to Guix Home if you don't want it.
That's not quite an answer to the point I'm making.  The point is that
whether I want to or not, Guix Home clutters $HOME with this directory.
Point taken, guix package does so too *by default*, but the -p switch
exists partly to change that.  Problem is, -p on its own also clutters
(viz the generations), unless you are careful enough to populate /var
with it, which isn't a nice design either.

> The profile management is the same as for Guix System.
>
> ~/.guix-home is a synonym to /run/current-system.
>
> Customization of ~/.guix-home location is potentially troublesome and
> was removed in October 2021.
/run is not /home, though; I don't think that analogy really works.
Assuming we do need to hardcode the guix-home root for... reasons...
why can't we place that root somewhere where the user won't be bothered
by it?  For backwards compatibility, we could check whether ~/.guix-
home exists and symlink it to the home profile in /var/guix/per-user if
it does.

Cheers