guix-devel

Re: Blender export backend missing

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Blender export backend missing
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 16:00:10 +0200

Théo Maxime Tyburn schreef op do 19-05-2022 om 15:05 [+0200]:
> Is seems to be because the "WITH_ALEMBIC" option is not used as a
> configure flag. I think
> about trying to build it myself with this option. Is there any
> particular reason this was not added? Can you forsee what should be done
> extra to make it work (link another lib or something)? I noticed that other
> export
> backends are missing, are they being kept out for the same reasons?

Possible reasons (I don't know which apply here and which are actually
true):

  * When blender was first packaged, that configuration flag did not
    exist.
  * Likewise, but the 'alembic' package was not yet packaged in Guix.
  * The original package author did not notice the WITH_ALEMBIC option.
  * The original package author noticed the option but didn't need
    'alembic' and kept things simple for now.
  * 'alembic' has a large closure size

You'll have to add alembic to the 'inputs' of blender and add
WITH_ALEMBIC to the #:configure-flags of 'blender'.  I don't expect
any problems but hard to tell in advance.

Greetings,
Maxime