guix-devel

Re: Packaging rust crates without compiling dependencies again for every

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Packaging rust crates without compiling dependencies again for every dependent (wasting build time)
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 12:08:24 +0200

Efraim Flashner schreef op ma 09-05-2022 om 13:02 [+0300]:
> This is really really cool! Thanks for sharing it.
>
> I noticed that there are a number of crates that you remove
> unconditionally, would it help if we patched them out of the crates
> that
> are in Guix?

This is for rust-winapi and the like?  Unfortunately IIUC, that's
currently not yet possible in general, because Cargo requires optional
dependencies to be available, see
<https://github.com/rust-lang/cargo/issues/4544>.  Unless the
Cargo.toml are patched appropriately as well.

(I don't know if this applies to dev-dependencies as well, or only to
'dependencies' ...)

Greetings,
Maxime.