guix-devel

Re: Updating from Go 1.17 to 1.18

From: Pier-Hugues Pellerin
Subject: Re: Updating from Go 1.17 to 1.18
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:24:44 -0400

Hello,

I've looked a bit more in detail on the Go package definition, Maybe we should rethink how we are building the Go package in guix?
If I understand correctly, the current bootstrap chain is the following.

1.17 -> 1.16-> 1.4 which is the last gcc version of go.

Looking at the current proposal in Go https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/KtbxLthKLdQNrjXvKllfQHQBQcKqVFdmPg
I don't think we will be able to remove 1.17 soon and also 1.4.  Because they want to move to use 1.17 as the minimum
 version in the next minor.

We should probably also try to mimic how their bootstrap and have the following:
So maybe we should do something like this.

- Add go-1.18 build from 1.4.
- Add go-next that point to go-1.18
- Refactor 1.17 package definition that is shared between go-1.18. and go-1.17.
- Move  go to go-1.18  in another branch
- Remove 1.16?

WDYT? I am not super familiar with the scheme but this seems like a good exercise.

Thanks