guix-devel

Re: Sockets in Shepherd, and Emacs, oh my!

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Sockets in Shepherd, and Emacs, oh my!
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:14:25 +0200

Am Montag, dem 18.04.2022 um 21:43 +0200 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> Hi,
>
> Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > Am Sonntag, dem 10.04.2022 um 22:40 +0200 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>
> [...]
>

> > > What do you mean by “claiming the socket”?  Do you have a log
> > > file showing this, or at (better yet) a small reproducer?  You
> > > can use ‘tests/systemd.sh’ as a starting point.
> > Emacs without systemd support simply exits, because Shepherd owns
> > the socket.  I think a rather simple command that exits immediately
> > or after sleep 5 ought to do the trick.
>
> Hmm could you share such a reproducer?  I’m not sure I understand.
Hmm, this test indeed works as intended on master, and when I try to
invoke bad behaviour deliberately in the way I pointed out, it seems to
restart the service cleanly.  I haven't checked the release commit, but
the emacs reproducer would be the following:

A.1 Build Emacs without systemd support.
A.2 Start my emacs service.
A.3 Launch emacsclient (due to emacs dying, emacsclient should either
die or loop forever/until a timeout, can't remember)
A.4 Launch emacsclient again.

B.1 Build Emacs with systemd support
B.2 Start my emacs service
B.3 Launch emacsclient (due to emacs supporting systemd, emacsclient
should run)
B.4 Use M-x kill-emacs to kill the emacs service.
B.5 Launch emacsclient again (it should fail to launch)

Thinking about it some more, I am probably dumb and forgot #:respawn?
#t.  Looking at my mail, it most definitely seems as though I did.
Well, that's a lesson learned, #:respawn? is #f normally.

Cheers