guix-devel

Re: phrasing of project vision

From: raingloom
Subject: Re: phrasing of project vision
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:30:06 +0200

On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 23:39:07 +0800
Zhu Zihao <all_but_last@163.com> wrote:

> Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:
>
> > +The vision of the GNU Guix project is to replace proprietary
> > software with +freedom respecting software.  We hope to create a
> > general purpose and +extensible operating system that works well
> > accross embedded environments to +extremely powerful server setups.
> >  When this vision is complete (it may never +be complete, that's
> > why it is a vision!) all software will be free software.
>
> IMO, replacing proprietary software with libre software should be the
> vision of the whole GNU project.
>
> Maybe we can change it to "The vision of the GNU Guix project is
> providing a reliable and convenient way for people to use, distribute,
> develop libre software."
>
> Other parts LGTM :)

It might be worth bikeshedding the phrasing a bit, because "freedom
respecting" and "libre" only really mean something to people who are
already on board with these ideas. The end goal is software that serves
people, instead of controlling and coercing them. Maybe it's worth
emphasizing that.

(Also please fill the subject line next time, it's hard to keep track
of threads when they are unlabeled.)