guix-devel

Re: Guix wiki

From: Aurora
Subject: Re: Guix wiki
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 14:46:39 +0000

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> writes:

> On 2022-01-09, Matt wrote:
>> Concern 7: the manual can easily be read and modified while offline
>>
>>   This is another good point. Things shouldn't be tied to the
>>   internet.
>>
>>   Fortunately, most wikis allow users to download the wiki (apart from
>>   tools like wget).
>>
>>   Unfortunately, the manual requires users to have a full system
>>   install and either commit rights or an extended conversion in order
>>   to modify.  To quote the Wikipedia on wikis,
>>
>>   "All that people require to contribute is a computer [including a
>>   mobile device], Internet access, a web browser, and a basic
>>   understanding of a simple markup language (e.g. MediaWiki markup
>>   language)"
>
> There are definitely wikis which use fairly simple markup
> (e.g. markdown) and can usefully be read and updated online via a web
> interface and git offline or online. The one I'm most familiar with is
> ikiwiki (available in guix), though don't have a lot of experience
> updating it via the web interface.
>

> live well,
>   vagrant

Personally this is what I'd consider the primary concern before a wiki
can be considered even remotely seriously.

While some wikis allow you to download the database, the vast majority
do not allow you to export or import diffs & modifications (mediawiki's
own support for this feature seems to be underdocumented), so what you
get is a lot less useful than even just a directory hierarchy with a
bunch of markdown files like some projects and forges do for their docs.

Other than ikiwiki and [fossil][1] I don't know of any wiki that
supports these features.

1: https://fossil-scm.org/home/doc/trunk/www/wikitheory.wiki