guix-devel

Re: Support for glibc 2.35

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Support for glibc 2.35
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 10:26:44 +0200

Hi,

Zhu Zihao <all_but_last@163.com> skribis:

> Olivier Dion via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution."
> <guix-devel@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to know if there's plan to add glibc@2.35 soon to the guix
>> channel?
>
> I'm afraid not. Bumping the version of glibc is not a trivial package
> update in Guix, it means almost all packages need to rebuild (rebuild
> the world).

Right, so we update it in a separate branch, ‘core-updates’, together
with other “core” packages.  The branch gets merged roughly once every 6
months, so one needs to be patient (such updates take a non-negligible
amount of QA work!).

> If you really need it, you may inherit from a existing glibc package,
> update to 2.35 and use it. But you may need extra patches to make it
> work well.

Yes, you can do that, use ‘make-gcc-toolchain’ (say) to build a custom
toolchain, and use ‘--with-c-toolchain’ to use that.

HTH!

Ludo’.