guix-devel

Re: The GNU Shepherd 0.9.0rc1 available for testing!

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: The GNU Shepherd 0.9.0rc1 available for testing!
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:40:10 +0200

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 06:59:33PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> You can test it on Guix System with:
>
>   guix time-machine --branch=wip-shepherd-upgrade -- \
>     system reconfigure …

On my 2010 Macbook Pro (with hard disk, not using SSD), boot time to
GDM got a few seconds slower/faster from 3:08--3:22 minutes to
3:19--3:20 minutes.  (Faster old boot times are a few days old; seems
to vary with temperature or phase of the moon or something.  So it is
maybe not slower at all or maybe even 2 seconds faster.)

I’m using none of the new Shepherd features; no sshd and no childhurds
nor secrets service, just desktop services and GNOME.

But still the new Shepherd is the right thing to do, I think.

Regards,
Florian