guix-devel

Re: lxc and subuid

From: Antonio Carlos Padoan Junior
Subject: Re: lxc and subuid
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 15:50:40 +0200

Dears,

I would like stress my original intend. It would be great to have a easy
(supported/documented/secure) way to build foreign distributions
containers in guix (an ubuntu, debian or centos container). It could be
by means of lxc, lxd or singularity (or whatever). The idea is that guix
system becomes the distribution to rule them all (and not the contrary).

I tried to build a guix package for a recent singularity version, mainly
because the one available in guix is old and perhaps broken. But I
miserably failed.  Actually I do not master Go and its library system. I
finished installing a nix package on the top of guix and that is fine
for today.

I do not know how to help here but I would like to have the possibility
to create these "foreign" containers easily in guix. This would really impress
the ones who do not yet know guix system.

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès schreef op vr 01-04-2022 om 10:12 [+0200]:
>> Or we could unconditionally add 65536 subuids for each non-system user
>> account; that’s what other distros seem to be doing.
>>
>> I think we could take advantage of it for ‘guix system container’: it
>> could run in an unprivileged user namespace and map several UIDs in that
>> namespace, such that it doesn’t need to run as root anymore.
>
> I think it will need to be conditional, because the container only has
> access to 65536 uids.  So if the container contains at least one non-
> system user, then all available uids are occupied so there is no room
> anymore for 'root' or per-service users ...
>
> Greetings,
> Maxime.

Best regards,
--