guix-devel

Re: Removing #:skip-build? from the crate importer?

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Removing #:skip-build? from the crate importer?
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 11:45:47 +0200

Am 31.03.22 um 21:14 schrieb Maxime Devos:
There are a few counter-proposals.  One suggestion that has been
raised, but not yet implemented, would be to make it so that build
results can actually be reused.  This is the most promising
conceptually, but from what I can gather from those working on it might
not be that easy to pull off.
Yes, that would be nice.

AFAIK Effraim and me tried to make cargo pick up artifacts build in another package. I gave somewhen: cargo did not pick up the artifacts, due to much „magic“ which I was unable to understand and work around.

One of the topics here are „features“ (like compile-time options), timestamps, exact absolute pathname, etc. All of this seems to go into some hash, which will determine which files will be rebuild. If anybody is interested, I could share the code of my last try. (Maybe the road to go would be to make cargo less strict here. But this requires understanding rust code and cargo.)

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |