guix-devel

Re: The way to promote GUIX package manager

From: Bengt Richter
Subject: Re: The way to promote GUIX package manager
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 15:48:53 +0100

On +2022-01-27 22:43:06 -0300, David Pirotte wrote:

> > What does "apt search guix" produce?
> > (Nothing, on the puri.sm variant of debian. They maintain a custom
> > pool based on debian minus what they want to exclude AIUI)
>
> fwiw,
>

> https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=guix&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

Yeah, forgot to mention: they don't _prevent_ you from doing anything
you want -- in fact that's what they're about: to ensure that you
(having the necesssary expertise or funds to hire it) _can_
control as near as possible everything your computer does, including
(not quite all) IME firmware, bios, bootloaders and the whole chain onwards.

OTOH they may not want to spend a lot of time helping you undo
what you did to yourself by bypassing their packages and safeguards.

They may instead suggest you install QubesOS and run iffy stuff
(like guix, whose reproducibility unfortunately does not exclude
reproducing bugs and vulnerabilities :) in a dom for untrusted sfw.

Personally, I like simplicity best, so I am watching MES and RISC-V
and hoping for a "stateless" laptop which will bootload _anything_ into
memory from _anywhere_ -- and ask me (via trustable interface)
if I like the sha256 it computed for the image just loaded.
Bonus for asking me if I want it to check or add to white-list
via secure protocol to USB goodie.

With only hot-pluggable high speed disks, I can just with  keep my precious
stuff fully separate and unconnected while I take internet advice like
"just run everything as root, it makes it so much easier for a newbie." ;-)

I think SeaBIOS and a doctored kernel-independent grub can get close,
but I want stateless with _all_ hot-pluggable hard disks,
even if two (for raid or cloning) of them have convenience slots
to hold them as cartridges.

Dreaming on ...
--
Regards,