guix-devel

Re: Language menu in the HTML manual

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Language menu in the HTML manual
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 15:48:07 +0100

Hello,

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:

> I have only tested on mobile. The language menu is always visible and takes
> up the whole screen. We should hide the
> menu by default.

Oops, indeed.

Commit fa580bf3b456273ebbbba20b3f4de1afdac3d031 should fix that.  It
also introduces the navigation bar as found on the Guix web site; I
didn’t plan to do that, but that sorta came with the rest, so…
(Clearly, we’re past the limits of what I manage on the CSS side.)
It should show up soon.

> Is that what the icon is supposed to do? If possible, the links should
> go to the same page in the other language, but that might be
> difficult.

Yes.  What makes it difficult is that Texinfo transliterates node names
to ASCII (which I find imperialistic and ridiculous, or at least
anachronistic):

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/ru/html_node/Nachinaya.html
  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/zh-cn/html_node/Ru-Men-.html

Probably the easiest (and ugliest?) way to fix it would be to view the
transliteration algorithm as a black box and to implement a mapping from
node names to file names, similar to the indexes computed in
‘doc/build.scm’.

Thanks,
Ludo’.