guix-devel

Re: Convention for new “guix style“?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Convention for new “guix style“?
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 21:05:00 +0100

Hi Leo,

On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 at 14:51, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:

>> Can you summarize Walder's law? I don't have time to watch that video.
>
> Never mind, I see that it's Wadler's law:
>
> ------
> In any language design, the total time spent discussing
> a feature in this list is proportional to two raised to
> the power of its position.
>      0. Semantics
>      1. Syntax
>      2. Lexical syntax
>      3. Lexical syntax of comments
> ------

The video refers to:

        The emotional intensity of debate on a language feature
        increases as one moves down the following scale:
            Semantics,
            Syntax,
            Lexical syntax,
            Comments.

<https://youtu.be/T1t4zGJYUuY?t=553>

BTW, I hope you will be able to schedule some time to watch this video.
It provides some points that appears to me being really worth to
consider when we speak about «Grow a Community».  Rust is not a model
to bootstrap a compiler but the community structure seems great. :-)

Cheers,
simon