guix-devel

Re: On raw strings in <origin> commit field

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: On raw strings in <origin> commit field
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 18:56:32 -0500

Hi Liliana,

Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prikler@gmail.com> writes:

> Git commit hashes do not just depend on the content.  They also depend
> on how much effort you put into solving a proof of work challenge that
> won't ever earn you crypto coins [1].

My knowledge of git is admittedly not that strong, but my understanding
is that git commit hashes depend solely on the contents of the tree plus
the commit log and the commit history leading up to that point.  Am I
mistaken?

The "[1]" at the end of your sentence led me to expect a corresponding
footnote, but I wasn't able to easily find it.  Can you please provide a
clarifying reference, or at least elaborate on what you meant here?

       Thanks,
         Mark

--
Disinformation flourishes because many people care deeply about injustice
but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>.