guix-devel

Re: Formalizing teams

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Formalizing teams
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 15:44:55 +0100

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

>> Guix is nowhere near the size of the Rust community (yet!), but I can
>> already picture teams and members:
>>
>>   co-maintainers (“core team”)
>>   community
>>   infrastructure
>>   internationalization
>>   security response
>>   release
>>   Rust packaging
>>   R packaging
>>   Java packaging
>
> We'd have to include every language/system of importance to that list
> (Python, Ruby, Emacs, LaTeX, Perl, etc.), no?

No, only those where we already have the people who could form a team.
There is no need for any of this to be comprehensive.  It just needs to
be an improvement over the status quo.

FWIW, I’ll gladly make it official that I could be the person to talk to
when it comes to “R packaging”.  This is already the case, but only
those people know it who don’t really need to know this.

Advertising this kind of information or recording it somewhere where our
tools could redirect incoming requests would be an improvement.

> Are our problems really organizational?  I think before attempting to
> come up with a solution, we must analyze and agree on what it is that
> needs improvement to help us move forward more efficiently.

I do think it’s a lack of organization, yes.  Today I’m no longer
following guix-commits, guix-patches, or bug-guix, and I’m overwhelmed
by guix-devel and help-guix.  Whenever something catches my attention
I’ll read a bit and maybe reply.  But by far the best way to get my
attention for a review is to ask on #guix or #guix-hpc or to
X-Debbugs-Cc (or Cc) me on emails.

Having some topic-specific streams I could tap into would allow me to be
a little more proactive.

--
Ricardo