guix-devel

Re: Release v1.4 (or 2.0): process and schedule ?

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Release v1.4 (or 2.0): process and schedule ?
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 12:48:35 -0800

On 2021-12-19, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:
>> Now core-updates-frozen is merged.  Now The Big Change [1 ]is done.  Do
>> we go for v1.4 or v2.0?
>
> As I've mentioned previously, I'd go for a 1.4.0 release, since overall
> we've refined and improved (greatly!) what we already had rather than
> introduced something revolutionary.  I'd keep a 2.0.0 for when we have
> p2p distributed substitutes, a custom graphical tool and/or integration
> with the 'Software' application in GNOME, this kind of big user-facing
> changes.  But that's just my personal opinion :-).  If the majority
> feels a 2.0.0 is more suitable, I won't mind.
>
>> In both case, what is the target for a release date?  I propose January
>> 31rst.  WDYT?
>
> I'd like to fix #52051 before issuing the first release candidate (RC).
> Assuming this can be made before the end of January with the first RC
> coming out around New Year, and that the kind of collaboration I've seen
> in the last weeks continues at the same intensity, this seems
> achievable.

Would it be appropriate to fix the ~700 low-hanbging fruit issues that
are identified by:

  guix lint --checkers=description,synopsis

It is not the most exciting work technically, but it is relatively easy,
and low risk, maybe the worst it does is put a bit more work on
translators...

Maybe there are also other low hanging fruit guix lint knows about that
would not be particularly disruptive?

It is not particularly urgent for a release, per se, but I suspect it
will just grow and grow without some sort of cycle to address such
trivial issues... and doing such cleanup before making a release would
aim for a higher standard of craftspersonship. :)

I can maybe try to help stir up a coordinated effort, if folks are
interested in pursuing this line of thinking!

live well,
  vagrant