guix-devel

Re: Solstice infrastructure hackathon

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Solstice infrastructure hackathon
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 23:58:11 +0100

Hello,

Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> skribis:

> I personally think that having Bordeaux as an alternative build farm,
> running alternative software is a wrong direction for the project. I
> would personally prefer to put a stop to that situation.
>
> We should clearly host some services such as the Guix website on
> Berlin & Bordeaux to bring some redundancy. However, as far as
> substitutes building is concerned, redundancy is premature when
> maintaining a single system, with our limited human and hardware
> resources, proves to be so complex.
>
> What do other people think?

I agree with what Ricardo wrote, in particular that motivation is not
fungible.  In that sense, an extra effort is not a “waste of resources”
in that it doesn’t take anything from other efforts in terms of
workforce.

Now, I’d certainly like to see more collective thinking around the
infrastructure we’re building—just like we think and work collectively
on Guix and its packages.

We have one set of problems to solve: long-term storage, GC scalability,
distribution, mirroring, continuous integration, etc.  While it’s
valuable to approach them from difference angles, I also find it more
fruitful when we can iterate collectively on actual solutions, and
follow our shared set of processes—review, tests, doc, integration in
Guix proper when applicable, and so on.

Tomorrow is a day where we can hopefully take advantage of that
collective work to address part of our infrastructure needs.

Thanks,
Ludo’.