guix-devel

Re: Release v1.4 (or 2.0): process and schedule ?

From: Bengt Richter
Subject: Re: Release v1.4 (or 2.0): process and schedule ?
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 19:12:00 +0100

Hi all,

On +2021-12-19 21:12:36 -0500, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Now core-updates-frozen is merged.  Now The Big Change [1 ]is done.  Do
> > we go for v1.4 or v2.0?
>
> As I've mentioned previously, I'd go for a 1.4.0 release, since overall
> we've refined and improved (greatly!) what we already had rather than
> introduced something revolutionary.  I'd keep a 2.0.0 for when we have
> p2p distributed substitutes, a custom graphical tool and/or integration
> with the 'Software' application in GNOME, this kind of big user-facing
> changes.  But that's just my personal opinion :-).  If the majority
> feels a 2.0.0 is more suitable, I won't mind.
>
> > In both case, what is the target for a release date?  I propose January
> > 31rst.  WDYT?
>
> I'd like to fix #52051 before issuing the first release candidate (RC).
> Assuming this can be made before the end of January with the first RC
> coming out around New Year, and that the kind of collaboration I've seen
> in the last weeks continues at the same intensity, this seems
> achievable.
>
> [...]
>
> >> The lesson of v1.0.1 [#,@] is: please help in testing the
> >> installer. :-)
>
> Yes, I also feel we should give the installer a lot of testing; it seems
> many people have had issues with it, especially when dealing with newer
> EFI machines.  Unfortunately I don't have such a machine available for
> testing myself...

This seems, IIUC, like a FLOSS way to deliver multiple versions of guix
in the form of a collection of bootable ISOs in a single bootable image
for easy trial on various systems.
WDYT?

[0] https://www.theregister.com/2021/12/10/friday_foss_fest/?td=keepreading-btm
[1] git clone 'https://github.com/ventoy/Ventoy.git'