guix-devel

Guile documentation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Guile documentation
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 18:45:45 +0100

Hi Blake,

Blake Shaw <blake@nonconstructivism.com> skribis:

> While I've come to love Guile, compared to my experience with Racket its
> been quite burdensome for me to get in the hang of, something I attribute
> primarily to the structure of the docs, and not due to it being in any
> way more difficult than Racket. While with Racket I was writing
> useful programs in the standard #lang within my first week, with Guile
> I often find that what should be almost trivial winds up with a lot of
> time lost just trying to navigate and understand the docs. When I do
> figure things out, it turns out to be no more difficult than the equivalent
> in Racket, but a lack of consistency in the path that leads there in the
> docs cause hangups, which has made trivial scripts that should take an hour
> become weekend projects.

IWBN if we could take advantage of your fresh eye to restructure the
Guile manual in a way that makes it more convenient.

Guile has changed a lot since the manual was initially written, a lot of
sections were added, some removed, but we probably didn’t take the time
to sit down and see how to restructure it accordingly.

So if you have a specific structure in mind, or if you remember
precisely what was hard to find and located in a unexpected section,
please let’s take advantage of that!

Thanks,
Ludo’.