guix-devel

Release v1.4 (or 2.0): process and schedule ?

From: zimoun
Subject: Release v1.4 (or 2.0): process and schedule ?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 11:03:14 +0100

Hi,

Now core-updates-frozen is merged.  Now The Big Change [1 ]is done.  Do
we go for v1.4 or v2.0?

In both case, what is the target for a release date?  I propose January
31rst.  WDYT?

1: <https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2021/the-big-change/>
2: <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-12/msg00134.html>

On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 at 09:37, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now core-udpates is merged, it is good time to make a new release [0].
>
> Schedule?  I propose a release date for January, 31st.  Early?  When?
>
> The branch version-1.4.0 is already created and instead of cherry pick,
> I propose to rebase with master until the freeze.  WDYT?
>
> For v1.3, this bug #47297 [1] collected all the blocking items and it
> worked well, I guess.  Do we do the same?
>

> In any case, to help the release process, please:
>
>  a. test – especially the installer [2]
>  b. fix bugs severity:important,serious [3,4] or report
>  c. proofread the last manual [5]
>  d. translate [6]
>  e. highlight an item to ease the list of important changes
>
> The lesson of v1.0.1 [#,@] is: please help in testing the installer. :-)
>

> How does it sound?
>
> Last, Guix is a “rolling-release“, so what does it mean ‘release’? :-)
> The main argument for releasing, IMHO, is communication and so attract
> potential new users. :-)
>
> Cheers,
> simon
>
> [0]: <8735mwc6l1.fsf@gmail.com">https://yhetil.org/guix/8735mwc6l1.fsf@gmail.com>