guix-devel

Re: How to handle package udev rules?

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: How to handle package udev rules?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:08:51 +0100

Hello,

Alexander Asteroth <alexander.asteroth@h-brs.de> writes:

> Now that the package is working and after I read the guidelines for
> contributing a package description I was wondering one thing:
>
> guix is not only guix system but also running as a packet manager on
> other distros. But a package developed for guix system, has to handle
> files like udev rule files differently from other FSH based
> distributions. Therefore a package using e.g. udev rules will never work
> without additional steps on other distributions.
>
> What is the policy here? How do other guix packages deal with that?

To maintain isolation and compatibility, Guix on a foreign distribution
doesn't want to mess with how the other distro operates, and so it won't
touch the FHS in any way, except for its own files in /var/guix/.  It
should theoretically be possible to move the udev rules manually to the
udev rules folder, but that means that those files will not be managed
by either Guix or the foreign package manager!

In any case, on a foreign distro, you shouldn't use Guix for anything
system-related, as that would be the responsibility of the running
distribution.

Best,
Josselin Poiret