guix-devel

Re: core-updates-frozen branch merged

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: core-updates-frozen branch merged
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 14:25:16 -0500

Hi!

> Hi Josselin,
>
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 at 14:24, Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz> wrote:
>
>> What exactly would those "release-specific enhancements" be?
>
> Basically,
>
> - Fix important bugs and/or blocking ones (I do not know if there are
> many today).  And previous release, a "release" bug had been opened to
> collect them.
> - Make sure that all work as expected: test installers etc.
> - String freeze for documentation updates.  Let the time for translators.
> - Update changelog / NEWS
> - Write blog post

Yes, this, and I was also thinking the occasional change that'd cause
too many rebuilds for master, such as fixing up sitecustomize.py [0]
that basically triggers a world rebuild if we want to ship it in the
next release.  We could batch others as well; I know that bumping our
xorg package to the recently released 1.7.3 would be nice to fix the
spurious warnings.  [1]

[0]  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52269
[1]  https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-announce/2021-December/003120.html

Thanks all for the great collaboration that went into readying
core-updates-frozen for the merge! :-)

Maxim