guix-devel

Re: Guix Documentation Meetup

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: Guix Documentation Meetup
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:38:27 +0000

Hi,

On Tuesday, December 14th, 2021 at 4:01 PM, Katherine Cox-Buday
<cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guile:
>

> -   Tutorial for extending a C program with Guile
> -   The manual
> -   Scheme Resources
>     -   "The Revised^6 Report on the Algorithmic Language Scheme"
>     -   "" but 7
>     -   "" but 5
>     -   (more links that IMO are only meaningful if you already know Scheme)

For what it's worth, the intention with the structure of the Learn section was
to put first introductory, prescriptive documentation about the language and
what is possible to do with it. So:

+ Tutorials (Guides, etc.)
+ Reference manuals
+ Scheme resources

This documentation was supposed to fill some of the gaps that have been already
mentioned in this thread and other previous conversations during the years in
other channels. Unfortunately, the Tutorials section hasn't seen any additions
since the day the website design was updated.

To me, the idea was to focus on building the Tutorials section gradually
because, I thought, the reference and Scheme resources were relatively complete
(except for the discoverability of SRFIs and how to use them in your own
project when they don't come with Guile). I suggested something like this for
tutorials:

+ Hello Guile: Getting Started (An overview of programming, and how to start

with Guile)
+ Hello Guile: Let's develop a console application
+ Hello Guile: Let's develop a desktop application
+ Hello Guile: Let's develop a web application
+ Hello Guile: Let's develop a 2D game
+ Hello Guile: Let's package your software for distribution (with Guix)

I guess it is a matter of filling the blanks, which is a lot of work you have
to enjoy doing and have enough time to do.