guix-devel

Re: How to handle package udev rules?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: How to handle package udev rules?
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 17:24:17 +0100

Alexander,

Alexander Asteroth 写道:
The question now is, what is the correct guix-way to implement this:

Not as complicated as you fear!

udev rules aren't special. Just install them to the package's own <out>/lib/udev/rules.d directory. If the build system tries to write to another package's output, see if it provides any options to change that, or patch it in the worst case.

As I understand, the udev-rules are usually created on system
level. That would mean I need to split the package into a service part and a package part? And remove the installation of the udev-file from
the package install process?

Guix System provides a ready-made udev-rules-service to gather up all desired udev rules and pass them to the running udev. I think this is how it works:

 (operating-system
   […]
   (services
     (cons* […]
            (udev-rules-service 'projecteur
                                projecteur)
            %base-services)))

‘Think’ because I do it differently in my own configurations.

Or is there another way for a package to provide the udev rules from a user-level install?

If this means ‘can I use Guix's udev rules on a foreign distribution’: I'm not sure, but not out of the box.

Kind regards,

T G-R