guix-devel

Re: Preservation of Guix Report 2021-11-30

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Preservation of Guix Report 2021-11-30
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 15:00:25 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 06 Dec 2021 at 14:10, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> Where I am surprised is that PoG does not return 'python-scikit-learn' when:
>>
>> $ guix lint -c archival python-scikit-learn
>> gnu/packages/machine-learning.scm:946:5: python-scikit-learn@0.24.2:
>> scheduled Software Heritage archival
>
> This is most likely due to <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/51726>.

Yes, that’s the explanation why “guix lint” is always scheduling it. :-)

The very same mechanism is used to fallback.  Therefore, Guix cannot
uses SWH as fallback for ’python-scikit-learn’; for now. ;-)

PoG uses the same API point*, IIUC.  Somehow, «PoG code finds ’foo’» has
to match «Guix code can use SWH as fallback for ’foo’» and the question
using ’python-scikit-learn’ as example: is it the case?

Other said, does this coverage done by PoG code correctly represent what
Guix code can reach?  Looking for corner cases; the devil is in the
details. ;-)

*API: instead of one query by request, PoG sends 1000 queries by request.
Because SWH limits to 100 request per hour, PoG checks for all packages
when Guix requires… bah! :-)

Cheers,
simon